Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Philadelphia

In 2008 I went on my first missions’ trip to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. There I was exposed to the world of poverty and homelessness like never before. We would go around to various non-profit organizations serving the least of these. I will never forget Walter, a homeless man who was willing to talk to us and tell us his story. Walter had a girlfriend and a young child before his life drastically changed. One night around Christmas time he went out to go pick up a pizza for his family. While returning home he was shot. Philadelphia is a dangerous place with high numbers of gang violence. His transportation to the hospital and the medical bills that piled up from this incident led to his girlfriend and son leaving him, no money to pay bills, and unable to live the life he once had, forcing him to live on the streets.



His story touched me. I realized that everyone has a story. It is not our place to judge them for their situations. There are people living on the streets who are war heroes, college graduates, drug addicts but they are all seeking help. They need more than just a handout, they need help getting back on their feet to start over and get off the streets.

Since my trip to Philadelphia I have had a yearning to go back to serve. I have not been there for more than a week, yet it feels like home to me. God has called me to GO!


As of now, I am currently in the application process to work with the same organization that I initially went to Philly with for a summer job. The job would be guiding youth groups around the city to serve at various non-profit organizations. This would be such a good opportunity for me to get. I would be able to learn the in’s and out’s of these non-profit’s. Gaining knowledge far more useful than I could dream of in a classroom. My passion and goals in life have to do with serving the least of these. I hope to start my own non-profit organization dealing with American poverty and homelessness upon my graduation from college. Not sure how to do it yet, but I will faithfully seek God’s voice in his plans for me.

I hope that one day I will be able to serve in the city where poverty is so evident everywhere you go. Philly is the home of brotherly love. I want to go, spread love to those who are viewed as unlovable.


No comments:

Post a Comment